Cardiac Catheterisation Laboratories (cath lab)
Our four Cardiac Catheterisation Laboratories (cath lab) provide an efficient and high quality service with state-of-the-art flat plane imaging designed specifically for cardiac procedures.
- One has additional speciality equipment to help diagnose and treat disorders of heart rhythm (Electrophysiological or EP).
- One is a bi-plane Cath Lab which allows intricate treatment of a broad range of more complex disease.
- A further two fully equipped coronary diagnosis and treatment labs.
Our highly skilled multidisciplinary team – including Consultant Cardiologists, specialist nurses, Radiographers and Cardiac Physiologists – carry out a number of procedures, including:
- coronary angiography - passing a fine tube via the artery, (large blood vessel) in your leg or wrist, directly to your heart.
- coronary angioplasty - a balloon and/or a small metal coil (stent) is used to open narrowed areas in the arteries of your heart.
- electrophysiology to diagnose and treat heart rhythm disturbances
- diagnosis and treatment of adult congenital heart disease
- diagnosis of pulmonary vascular disorders
Before and after your procedure, you will be looked after in one of our Cardiology patient areas.