Our Orthopaedic Department has a multidisciplinary approach to care, with our consultants, nurses, physiotherapists and occupational therapists all working together for one purpose – the benefit of our patients.
Patients visiting our Orthopaedic Department can currently be treated for the following conditions:
• Hip arthritis
• Knee arthritis
• Failed hip/knee replacements (wear, loosening, infection, fracture)
• Soft tissue knee problems (meniscal tears, cruciate ligament injury)
• Forefoot problems (bunions, hammer toes)
• Hindfoot problems (ankle osteoarthritis, flatfeet, cartilage problems)
• Hand/wrist problems (carpal tunnel syndrome, ganglions, trigger finger, Dupuytren’s disease)
As one of the largest elective orthopaedic centres in Europe, we currently carry out the following procedures:
• Total hip replacement
• Total knee replacement
• Partial (unicompartment) knee replacement
• High tibial osteotomy
• Revision total hip replacement
• Revision total knee replacement
• Knee arthroscopy and meniscectomy
• Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction
• Forefoot surgery (including: bunion correction, treatment of hammer toes)
• Hindfoot surgery (including: ankle arthroscopy, total ankle replacement, ankle fusion, calcaneal osteotomy)
• Hand surgery (including: carpal tunnel decompression, trigger finger release, treatment of Dupuytren’s disease).
One of the great successes within the Orthopaedic Department is the Caledonian™ enhanced recovery programme. This is a pioneering philosophy, which includes the use of enhanced pain control techniques, and allows patients to get back up and walking within hours of surgery, with a reduced overall length of stay in hospital.
The current average length of stay is three days following your hip replacement and four days after knee replacement (data: 2014).
Monday- Friday: 9am-5pm, Arthroplasty Outcome Team: 0141 951 5521
General enquiries, Golden Jubilee National Hospital Switchboard: 0141 951 5000
Out of hours (urgent), Ward 2 West (Senior Nurse): 0141 951 5200 Or page 0257 (via switchboard)