Our Respiratory Laboratory is responsible for providing routine and complex respiratory function tests on outpatients and inpatients.
We have a dedicated team of Respiratory Physiologists with a broad range of experience in respiratory, sleep and exercise physiology who are able to tailor care and treatment to the needs of each individual. We adhere to guidelines set out by the Association for Respiratory Technology and Physiology (ARTP) our Professional body where you can find out more about our guidelines and the test procedures.
The Respiratory Laboratory is located on Level Two East next to Radiology Reception. If you are having difficulty finding it, please ask at the Hospital Reception at the Main Entrance of the Golden Jubilee National Hospital.
The department provides investigation for a number of national services including:
• Pulmonary Vascular disease (SPVU)
• Scottish National Advanced Heart Failure Service (SNAHFS)
• Scottish Adult Congenital Cardiac Service (SACCS)
• Thoracic (Lung) Services
• Pre operative assessments for general outpatients
We provide all of the following services:
• Routine and complex respiratory function tests, including spirometry, transfer factor, lung volumes, body plethysmography, muscle function and bronchodilator response.
• Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing.
• Blood gas analysis.
• Field exercise testing (six minute walk test).
• Nocturnal Oximetry and limited Channel Sleep Studies for the diagnosis of Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA).
We offer a comprehensive service treating adults whether they are inpatients or outpatients.
Several national services are located in the Golden Jubilee National Hospital and general out patients, if you require testing: a Consultant or appropriate team member will refer you.
• Patients attending the Respiratory Laboratory should bring their reading glasses if worn, any dentures and hearing aids.
• If you are attending an appointment it is best to arrive 15 minutes prior so you are fully rested. No heavy meals prior to testing and do not wear tight fitting clothing. If attending for a Cardiopulmonary Exercise Test you should wear appropriate clothing and suitable footwear to use a stationary bicycle.
• The amount of time to complete testing varies from 15 minutes to 60 minutes.
• The Respiratory Physiologist will instruct and guide the patient throughout the testing procedure. There may be another member of staff present during Cardiopulmonary exercise testing who will be assisting the Respiratory Physiologist carry out this highly complex test.
• The Laboratory is located on Level Two East next to Radiology reception.
Mr. Steven Haire, Chief Clinical Physiologist. Manager Respiratory Laboratory.