Delivering care through collaboration



There are various properties available in the local area via several landlords (both private individuals and letting agencies) as well as through the local council, authorities and Scottish Government.

When you are just starting out, we would suggest looking for options for a short term tenancy, for example 3-6 months. This will allow you to get to know the area before entering into a long term agreement.

You can find more information and advice on renting properties at the following links:

Scottish Government - https://www.mygov.scot/browse/housing-local-services/renting-property

Shelter - https://scotland.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/guides/renting_privately

Many landlords and letting agencies advertise online, however you may be able to find local properties advertised on notice boards.


 Letting agencies

One advantage of using a letting agency, rather than a private landlord, is that they will have information on several different options and will act on your behalf when completing paperwork and administration, including rent, contracts and property repairs.

It is worth noting that going through a letting agent may be more expensive, however, as they charge administration fees.

Popular websites for renting properties can be found below:

Additionally you can look into renting from your local housing association, you can find further information here https://www.west-dunbarton.gov.uk/housing/housing-associations/

Please note: these agencies are not endorsed by NHS Golden Jubilee, and other options are available. These are provided only for information, and NHS Golden Jubilee accepts no responsibility or liability for your use of any particular agency or website.

 Costs and fees

Monthly rentals will vary depending on the size, condition and location of property. Whether they are furnished or unfurnished will also be a factor in this.

You will be asked to provide evidence of your earnings, proof of your current address and identification. Depending on the property you are applying to rent, you may be asked to pay the first month up front.

When renting a property, some landlords and letting agencies charge a holding fee to secure the property. The holding fee is not refundable if you don’t move into the property.

Once you have secured a place to stay, you will need to accept a tenancy agreement and pay a security deposit. This deposit acts as a guarantee against damage to the property and will be paid directly to the landlord or letting agency before you are allowed to move into the property.

After you have paid the deposit, you should receive a copy of the inventory list telling you what items are in the home.

It is important to check the condition of the items on the inventory list as you may be held responsible for any missing or damaged items when your tenancy agreement comes to an end. The money from your security deposit will be used to cover this.

If you feel you have been treated unfairly when renting a property, you can contact your your local Citizen Advise Bureau for more advice at https://www.cas.org.uk/bureaux/glasgow-central-citizens-advice-bureau

award logos for disability confident leader, stonewall top 100,investors in young people gold award, investing in volunteers, sqa approved centre, investors in people